- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
Frank Rizzo Was One Crappy Mayor
Sorry if this offends people, but, amongst this sort of odd, sort of cute, sort of scary, sort of endearing portrait of Bob Brady, we get the main reason why I don't think I can vote for the Congressman as Mayor:
"He kept City Committee together when it could have been Bosnia," says Lou Agre, a Brady supporter and Roxborough ward leader. "He knew exactly what to do: Don't let anyone get too mad, give everyone a little something...
"He's Rizzo without the racism."
I feel bad in a way criticizing Brady, because without having ever met him, he seems like a really nice, sincere kind of guy. And ol' Lou Agre is one of our most frequent readers. But...
News flash: Frank Rizzo was an absolutely terrible Mayor. And, it was not just because he was an inveterate racist, who lined up black men naked against the wall while the press watched, or other wonderful things. Unfortunately, racist urban mayors exist throughout much of our Country's unfortunate history. But there is a reason that despite that, Rizzo still generally is talked about as one of the worst Mayors of all time.
As one quick example, Rizzo is basically single-handedly responsible for setting PGW down the path to debt and destruction that it is currently on. Why? Because he decided loading it up with his buddies was more important than... providing gas. He also presided over huge population losses, scared people away from Philly in the Bicentennial, etc., etc., etc.
If Brady is a nicer, non-racist version of Frank Rizzo, then we are in big, big trouble.