- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
What can you buy for the price of an aircraft carrier?
The Irish American Business Chamber & Network (IABCN) hosted a pretty standard networking function Tuesday at noon but at least there was a good story and a good quote.
The IABCN gave a Taoiseach (leadership) Award to Rev. John McNamee who runs St. Malachy's Catholic School in North Philadelphia (11th Street, above Master). For twenty-five years, Father McNamee has made a name for himself operating the school of 200 students without funding from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Father McNamee has been a leader in various peace moments, has actively opposed the Iraq war and is a published poet. After accepting the award, Father McNamee gave a short speech in which he noted that: the budget for the School District of Philadelphia is less than the cost of one aircraft carrier in the US navy.
I guess aircraft carriers are really really expensive. Still, I think I have a few good ideas for things I'd rather have than aircraft carriers.