- Pennsylvania Among 'Terrible 10' Most Regressive Tax States
- February 4 Non-Partisan Training: HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013: HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Republican Governors Opt-In to Medicaid Expansion
- The Reports of Unions' Death Are Greatly Exaggerated
- Ask Allyson Schwartz to run for Governor
- Mind the gap: Opting Out of Medicaid Expansion Leaves Low-income Families Behind
- Jan. 14 Workshop:HOW TO RUN FOR ELECTION BOARD IN 2013; HOW TO RUN FOR COMMITTEEPERSON IN 2014
- Seth Williams on Guns, Jasmine Rivera on School Closures @PFC Meetup Wednesday
- PA Revenue Strong Midway Through Year; Tax Cut Could Have Big Impact
- What to Make of the Fiscal Cliff Deal?
Welcome Michelle Rhee Philly Style
We know now that rating teachers on standardized testing and rewarding principals for high test scores leads to cheating. In Washington D.C. where Michelle Rhee was superintendent, cheating was suspected in 103 of Washington D.C.’s 168 schools (Goldstein, 2011). According to Goldstein (2011), Rhee, when alerted to the possible cheating scandal chose to ignore it. Rhee eventually absolved every school suspected of cheating (Goldstein, 2011). In Atlanta 140 teachers and 38 principals affecting at minimum 44 schools were caught cheating on standardized tests (Severson, 2011). In Philadelphia 89 schools were suspected of cheating and officials are alleged to have covered up this scandal ("Philadelphia Schools Caught Cheating ion Tests," 2011, Did State Officials Bury Cheating Report, 2011?). In Pennsylvania overall 200 schools were suspected of cheating on the 2009 state standardized exams (Did State Officials Bury Cheating Report, 2011?).
It is truly repugnant how Rhee flouted the truth in pursuit of her own individual glory. Urban superstars have become the new rock stars and we have seen the superintendent replace the student as being the centerpiece of education. As long as this remains the case education will suffer.
I hope the good citizens of Philadelphia turn out to protest this false messiah. If you are interested in doing so please email me at email@example.com and I will put you in touch with those who are trying to organize a the type of welcome Michelle Rhee truly deserves.
Goldstein, D. (Ed.) (2011, March 28). Michelle Rhee’s cheating scandal. The Daily Beast. Retrieved from http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/29/michelle-rhees-cheat...
Herold, B. (July 11, 2011) Did state officials bury 2009 cheating report. Public School Notebook
Lewin, T. (2010, July 23,). School Chief dismisses 241 teachers in Washington. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/24/education/24/teachers.html?_r...
Test scores unrelaible. (2008). Retrieved from http://fairtest.org/test-scores-unrelaible-means-assessing-school-qual
Severson,K. Georgia licenses suspended in cheating scandal (October 13, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com2011/10/14/us-Georgia-licenses-suspended-in-cheati...